Monday, January 7, 2008

A New Dawn


Sun in the sky
You know how I feel

Breeze driftin' on by

You know how I feel
It's a new dawn
It's a new day

It's a new life

For me

And I'm feeling good

--"Feeling Good," Nina Simone version

Ever since I can remember, I have loved taking photographs. I love hearing the click of the shutter. I love feeling the weight of the camera. I love ratcheting the lever to wind the film forward...or backward. I love sharpening this crazy world into focus. There is this indescribable magic in capturing the moment.

I had rescued the moment by using my camera and in that way had found a way to stop time and hold it.
--Alice Sebold, from The Lovely Bones

When digital became easily accessible to the modern day consumer (read: poor broke student), I loved the instant gratification...and I especially loved being able to see how truly candid those spontaneous shots were! Although film photography will always be my favorite (that is a post for another day), it is undeniable that digital has wormed its way into my life. It helps that it is inexpensive compared to film photography -- and eases this perpetually broke graduate student's pocketbook!

Spending the New Year with Old Friends

Last year while browsing through some knitting blogs, I read about Project 365 and thought it was an awesome idea, but armed feasibly within budget with only the lightweight Sony Cybershot DSC-W70, I didn't have the enthusiasm to make it past day...3? This past December, however, I was gifted with something that reminded me much more of my film photography love. For my birthday, my parents gave me a wonderful new toy: a digital SLR, Nikon D40X. I think you might agree with me that that is some highly proper motivation.

For those who know me well, the last year has been extremely difficult for me, and I went (and am still going) through a lot of changes in my life. Of course, as with everyone, the new year brings about a time of reflection -- and for the first time in my life (read: not forced to do it for a school assignment), I have made some New Year's resolutions!

One of my resolutions for this year is to take a picture a day to become a better photographer, to chronicle the mind-bending transformations along with the oscillating fluctuations in my life.


Snow on my car after a two-week vacation in more summery settings.


This blog is my first and will primarily serve as a photo blog. Eventually other fragments of my personality may slowly seep their way onto the public blogosphere, but my objective for this journal is mostly to follow my discoveries in photography. I have a few goals for myself this year:
  1. Take a picture everyday. I have a few ideas of things to explore! Like self-portraits, macros, time-elapsed photography, night photography, and action shots!
  2. Start a photo blog (check!) and blog about at least one Project 365 picture once a week.
  3. Become adept at using the manual mode on my dSLR.
  4. Learn how to post-process photos (eg, Photoshop).
I plan to post all final cuts of my Project 365 pictures over at http://www.photoblog.com/mizspontaneity/ but blogging about my favorite shot of the week here. Feel free to wander back and forth -- and please feel free to leave me comments, constructive criticisms, and encouragement!


Fog on the Gulf of Mexico at sunrise, aerial view


I'm excited about the new adventures my camera and I are about to embark! Won't you join us in our journey this year?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw Elaine! I can tell I'm going to love checking up on your blog! Good luck with your project, and I love the inclusion of the song lyrics at the beginning, so fitting (plus the song just happened to come on as I was reading it...). :D

-Megan

Darwin said...

yay for your new blog elaine!

Jennifer Wang said...

Yay Elaine has a blog!!! Great way to start the year off! I have bookmarked and will come back frequently. Good luck and happy shutterbugging!

PhasionDesign said...

i think this is great! good luck!